Monday, March 24, 2008

Workshop Nude

19x25"
Pastel on paper
In my last post, I mentioned that I
was going to a Margaret Dyer workshop.
Well, I did and it was a wonderful week.
I learned a great deal about painting
with value and not so much with color.
I could actually paint the figure in
any color, as long as the value was correct,
and people would understand it.
I came home with 15 unfinished pieces of work.
We had 4 different models who posed nude
or partially nude.
The whole idea behind a workshop
is to explore new ideas about painting
and not try to make completed pieces of work.
That can be stressful, if that is how
one approaches this type of class.
I went in with an open mind, willing to try
a different technique than how I
paint now. I don't think that I will ever
paint just like my instructor, (not that I want to)
but I feel that by implementing my new found knowledge
about values; my paintings can only improve.


No comments: